Thursday, February 21, 2019

Modding my PS1 - RGB LED (PSX-VX Part IV)

As my PS1 receives more capabilities than initially thought by Sony, it needs a status LED showing more states than just ON/OFF.
For this reason I need to have more colors than just green.
I chose an RGB LED to replace the original LED.
It will be driven by a Raspberry Pi.


Deleting original LED
Getting rid of it is pretty quick.
Sadly its legs are bent so it's not practical but it will leave without too much work.

Placing the new LED
Hard rework of the traces is out of question so I left the whole LED with its legs above the board.
I bent them at around 100° to be able to solder something on it without touching something on the board.
I put a connector on the legs.
I kept the LED and the connector in place with some hot glue.

Controlling
Solder the VCC (or GND) and the 3 color legs (check if your LED is common anode or common cathode) to the RPi and choosing the color will be as easy as controlling 3 GPIO's.
The intensity of each color will be choosable using PWM.

Code
See the code at: https://github.com/electrojack/psxvx


Don't mind the two blue cables

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR9lDs6q3II

1 comment:

  1. Program the number play bazaar of your locksmith into your cell phone so you can have it with you at all times. You don't want to end up stuck away from home with no way to access a good locksmith. MakeSatta Kingsure you talk to them about whether or not the rates will be different if you are stuck on the road.

    ReplyDelete